Fitness overload is an understatement today. There's been an explosion in choices over the last decade. From CrossFit, FlyWheel, OT, Barre, Boxing Studios and a million other things in between. All of these choices are great because they promote an active and healthy lifestyle. What's not great is getting injured when training. Here are a few tips to keep in mind during every workout.
1) I'll save the BEST for first which is to NEVER compromise your form. Even when you're putting the weight down after your set, "keep your spine neutral." Don't get sloppy.
2) Control every repetition, don't let gravity do the work. Ugly reps are the enemy if you want to live to train another day.
3) The classic movement patterns have stayed around for good reason, because they work. Every good strength training program will incorporate complimentary patterns. ie Push-Pull, Quad Dominant-Hip Dominant, Flexion-Extension. Multi-joint movements are a body's best-friend.
4) Find what you like and stick with it. Consistency will always be the magic ingredient.
5) Always remember your WHY when training. It makes working out so much more enjoyable. Hope these tips help during your next workout :-)